Well, hello February. I knew you were coming. My calendar prepped me for your arrival. I can’t really complain, though, because January was sublime. Sunny days and seventy degrees never bothers me! This mid-Tennessee weather fools me on some days to believe I am back in a South Florida winter. But today, it is a February day. Cloudy, a bit rainy, and cool, though not cold. It is an indoor day, begging for lit candles, soft music, and a roast in a slow cooker on low all day.
There is apparently a trendy danish word, “hygge” pronounced hue-gah that “is a feeling or mood that comes taking genuine pleasure in making ordinary, every day moments more meaningful, beautiful or special.” I never heard this word, and did not know it was a thing until I listened to Tsh Oxenreider’s latest podcast , which is all about hygee. I think I get it. Today, for instance, instead of reading aloud to my girls at our dining room table we all curled up in a soft, knitted blanket on our daybed as I read to them. There was even classical music playing in the background. Total hygee. The cloudy sky outside our playroom window served as a pleasant backdrop to our story.
So for my five favorites I’m including some hygge-like things as well as a few simple favorites.
My Five Favorites for February
- IF Gathering 2017. What an incredible weekend with women in my Gallatin community! We livestreamed the conference set in Austin, TX led by Jennie Allen. Jill Briscoe was my favorite speaker by far, though there were a few others who challenged me as well. I enjoyed meeting other women, and building community with women from my church. And getting away from the regular grind was not a bad thing either. You can learn more about IF here- IF Gathering.
2. Ellie Holcomb’s new album, Red Sea Road. I love her songs. The writing, the folksy, melodic tunes, all of it. This may be my favorite of hers thus far. It may be just that I need these songs right now in this season. I love Ellie’s heart for the Lord and how she shepherds others with her songs.
3. My $5 Walmart Fern. This is in the “hygee” catergory. I got a $2 tin pail in the craft section to use as a planter. Live plants in February is a must. Now let’s see if I can keep my little fern alive until spring.
4. Organix Renewing, Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner You can find this stuff anywhere. I just grabbed it one day because what I normally use was out of stock. My hair stylist recommended Moroccan Argan oil for a while back, but I am just now getting around to trying it out. I notice a difference in my hair’s texture, smoothness and overall health. Great stuff!
5. My kids playing together. I love it when I walk in on my kids playing well together, because there are the times when I walk in to break up fights, settle disputes, and put everyone in separate rooms because mommy needs a time out. But then there are moments when they share and take turns and heaven meets earth for a few brief moments, and I breathe it all in.
When life is complicated, busy, and fast, sometimes it is the little things that reminds us of grace in the midst of it all. Sometimes I make mental lists of all that is going wrong, of all that is undone, but then I forget to give thanks for all that God has done or is doing. Even in the valley there can be praise because God meets us there. And when God meets us, He graces us, not with the things He gives us, but with His presence. That is my favorite thing of all, in February, and all year long.